How to synchronize multiple shafts
Kayak Power Meter Pro only feature. Firmware revision 2.04 or greater required.
Located inside both the left and right shaft of a Kayak Power Meter Pro, is a Real Time Clock (RTC) which accurately tracks the time that has elapsed since the last 'sync' was performed.
The RTC is accurate to ±0.432 Second/Day over the entire temperature range from -45°C to +85°C. In other words, the RTC will drift no more than ±0.432 over the course of 24 hours, even if the temperature varies significantly throughout the day.
If you intended to record synchronized High Speed Data during a training session, then the shafts must be synchronized before any data you record will be in-sync i.e. synchronizing the shafts after recording a file will not result in that particular file being in-sync.
To achieve the highest accuracy, we recommend you perform a 'sync' at the start of a training session. Once the shafts are synchronized, the 'sync' will remain accurate for at least the next 24 hours depending on your accuracy requirements.
You can watch a video here on the synchronization process, or you can follow the instructions listed below.
- Plug in the barrel connector end of the charging cable into each of the shafts, so that every shaft that is to be synchronized has a cable inserted into it.
- Ensure the USB end of the each charging cable is not connected to a power source.
If you are performing a 'sync' using a single Pro charging cable, then go straight to Step 3. If you are performing a 'sync' with a 'sync-box', then go to Step 2.
- Plug the USB end of each charging cable into a spare port on the 'sync-box'.
- Plug the barrel connector end of a spare cable into the connector on the 'sync-box'. It is the USB end of this cable that will be used in Step 3.
- Insert the USB end of the charging cable into a powered USB port (or USB wall adaptor or external USB battery charger) for less than one second.
- The Real Time Clock in each of the shafts will all be automatically reset when the cable is removed.
- The synchronisation process is now complete.
Note: If the USB end of the charging cable is powered (5V) for longer than one second, then a 'sync' will not occur and instead the shafts will simply reset.